Thursday, October 19, 2017

Oct 19 - late update on Speeduino

So all of this has transpired over the last couple of months but I haven't been in here to give an update in a very long time and I thought I'd catch everyone up on where we are right now on the Speeduino install and conversion.

I have the factory ECU and wiring out of the car.  I cut the sensor leads at the back of the motor so I could tie in my Speeduino into those same sensors on the motor.  I, being a network guy, used solid CAT 5e cable to run extensions of those sensor wires to the Speeduino up in the cabin.  It was tough figuring out the pinout on the Speeduino as the guy who made it used a standard IDE 40 pin connector but called the pin numbers what he wanted instead of using the standard.  "Gotta love standards, because there are so many to choose from" -Steve Masters (who I heard it from).

So once I was connected up I ran a test to no avail and no spark, so I had to troubleshoot that.  Turns out that from the wires i had cut some of them that I needed powered and ground hadn't been connected back to those sources yet.  So once my ICM had power and ground then I got spark.  Then I guessed what to use for degrees before top dead center and got it completely wrong, I couldn't make enough power to pull my hill and not back fire and kill the motor.  Then when I adjusted, I went the wrong way and made it worse.  Got mad and quit before I tore stuff up.

Came back later after a conversation or two from some folks and found out I should be way before top dead center which is weird for guys who have really high compression ratio motors.  Set it to like 25 deg btdc and it fired right up and pulled my hill without issue.  Next up is to fire the injector with the Speeduino!

Progress is being made y'all!!!

So I have the car over to Jerry Noone's place to get all better on the body and such.  I'll have more updates about that as they come along.  I have the last post about the doors getting struts, I'm super stoked about that.  Gonna take a few days for that high to come down I think.  :-)

Take care, it's a jungle out there!  :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment