Sunday, March 3, 2013

More progress. . . and more success.

Working on a quick fix today to get the genny running on it's own steel tank that came with it.  I got a step drill bit and cut two holes in the top of the can.  One is so I could draw the fumes off of the top of the tank, the other is allow a bubbler type action inside of it as was done on the red gas can.

As it turned out, I had to remove the gas cap from the top of the tank to allow enough fresh air in to get a good ratio to run the motor.  This isn't ideal and will not be how I leave it in the end, but letting folks know this is one way it can be done. 

My original plan today was to recirculate exhaust back into the tank and help warm it up.  This wasn't working out so well, I hadn't realized I needed to remove the gas cap, so I went with the regular tube sitting down inside the tank like the red gas can had done.  Now that I realize that I have to run with the gas cap removed (for now) I can go back to my plan with the recirculated exhaust back into the tank and see how it goes. 

I am concerned though.  I don't think I'll do that until I cool it down more by making a pipe inside of a pipe setup like the GEET plans show.  Once I know the exhaust temp will be reduced, then I'll be more willing to give that a shot.

But without further hesitation, here's the video of the genny running in this mode.  Also under load.  I have a radio and one of the 1500 Watt heaters running off of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment