Wednesday, May 25, 2016

May 25 - mount that rail - vaporizer update

Getting there on mounting the fuel rail and fuel injector to the vaporizer box.  So those bosses I had made are now sporting screws in them holding brackets for the fuel rail.  It's not 100% yet but it is getting there quickly now.

Welds aren't pretty but it is strong.  And on this build I'm all about functional 1st, pretty second.  I don't have a proper Tig kit to do this with.  It is my wire fed Hobart Handler 140 and I also don't have 100% Argon, so no, it is not going to be pretty.  :-)  I'm using my 75/25 bottle for steel on this with the nodes flipped around for Aluminum and using the right wire of course.  But still.  sigh...

Those are #10 screws, stainless that are holding the bracket.  I'm thinking I'm going to either weld this one end that worked out to be flush, or I'm also thinking better yet, I'll do bulkhead fittings on that side to keep it together there.  Good suggestion from a guy who has done a ton of this kind of work all of his life.





I also got the makeshift boot clamps on the CV boots today (with my son's help of course).  We'll see how they work out.  They're little stainless straps that work similar to a ty-wrap but don't have the teeth on them.  I pulled the strap thru it's holder and then twisted it up in a spiral like a sardine can key.  Then crimped it so the twist couldn't come out of it.  I put the bent over bit in the direction of normal travel down the road so it doesn't want to come apart or catch on anything.  It has a bumped up bit there instead of something that could catch.


No comments:

Post a Comment