Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Aug 15 - right tool - right job

When only the right tool can yield that perfect radius that you're looking for.


Yes, that is what it looks like.  I used the log to form the radius onto the expanded metal mesh for making the screen to block rocks from hitting the radiator from the rear tire.  :-)


And after careful consideration, I'll be hunting a couple of thick washers that I will weld to the mesh.  Then the radiator itself will bolt to the mesh and become a structural member to holding the radiator.  There are 2 each 1/4-20 screws with fenders washers on the fiberglass and the mesh holding it to the duct.

After this is altogether and in the car, I'll check the performance out.  If I like it, then I'll pull it from the car and clean it up and hit it with the POR.  I could always add a smaller/tighter mesh if it lets in too large of an object.  I think the angle things will be coming into this screen will be high enough of an attack angle that it will suffice.  Time will tell.

But these screens cleaned up nicely with the grinder and don't look bad at all.  I rough cut them with my plasma cutter and then cleaned them up with a cut off disc and flapper wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment