Saturday, August 27, 2016

Aug 20 - begins the long journey

So in respect for everyone's time, I'll cut to the chase.  If you have these boxes.  Cut them in half on the line that looks like it could be used to cut them in half on.  Save yourself the time of trying to make these work with them together as they come.  The front bit will allow for a nice curvature into the duct hole on the quarter panel and the rear bit will be to box in your radiator and keep it in the right location far enough back that you don't have a problem putting the body back on once it has the boxes installed into them.

I've hacked mine all to hell trying to get them to fit as-is.  Don't waste your time.  I had a guy who has built a dozen or twenty of these same model cars and he said they always cut theirs.  Now the reason he gave me at the time didn't make any sense to me so I wasn't going to cut mine.  Truth is, regardless that he didn't remember why they did it, the point was to cut them so they're easier to install.  And makes everything fit well.  I should have cut mine.  I will be cutting mine now and I think I can do this with them installed into the body and the body fitted to the frame.  These pics look better than the final product because you don't see it installed onto the body.  It's currently a mess.  I'll shoot pics before I tear into it.  So you can see how bad things got.  I guess I'm glad I screwed up my mix and made it without enough hardener  Because I would have been cutting them out had they setup properly.

The pictures I have here are all of the progress on the way up to where I am now.  I made the screens in front of the radiators an integral part of mounting the radiators to the boxes.  You'll see  where I welded washers (doubled them up) to the screens to make them mounting points for the radiators. And then of course the screens are also screwed to the boxes.

Another tip, don't ever mix large batches of fiberglass at once (unless this is your day job and you know how to get the hardener just right), keep the smaller more manageable batches going and just pick up where you left off as you go along.

Here are the pics.

Roughing up the glass to put it in.

Instead of doing another post about the taillight bezels...
In short I took them to Jerry Noone of Noone customs and he drilled holes in them and counter sunk my 2 screws into them and used a hot set structural epoxy type of stuff to adhere them in. (100EZ its called)  They're not going anywhere.  I used stainless 1/4-20 phillips head screws.  Ground the tops of them down flat and dropped them into the holes.  Then backed them with washers and nuts.  I drilled the body and pulled them through with nuts on the body.  Cleaned up the holes in the bezels with some body filler and primer.

No comments:

Post a Comment